Comfort food at its very best.
Prepare to crumble to your feet as this delicious warming dessert is served up after a Sunday roast.
Baking apples and pears in lemon sugar syrup, topped with a mixture of cinnamon, Jordans Chunky Traditional Porridge Oats, butter and sugar. Comfort food at its very best.
- 100g (4oz) butter
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 eating apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 100g (4oz) clear honey
- 75g (3oz) light brown soft sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g (6oz) plain flour
- 100g (4oz) Jordans Chunky Traditional Porridge Oats
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Cream, custard or ice cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4. Butter a 1 litre ovenproof baking dish with a small knob of butter.
2. Put the lemon zest and juice into the baking dish with the apples and pears. Add the honey and 25g (1oz) of the sugar. Add the vanilla extract and toss everything together. Bake for 10 minutes, and feel your mouth water as the wonderful smell begins to fill your kitchen.
3. Meanwhile, make the crumble topping by rubbing the remaining butter into the flour, until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in the remaining sugar, cinnamon and the Jordans Chunky Traditional Porridge Oats and these become the tastiest little crumbs you’ve made.
4. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the fruit mixture and bake for a further 25-30 minutes, by which point you’ll find yourself staring through the glass into the oven. So, serve up a healthy slice with cream, custard or ice cream. Or have all three if you’re feeling greedy, and the waistband will let you.
For a simple apple crumble recipe, use 3 large baking apples.
Add a handful of sultanas or raisins to the fruit mixture, if you like.